Help for Studying with Children!
Help for Studying with Children!
If you have to finance your studies and take care of a child at the same time!

Due to pregnancy and taking care of a child, course assessments can be delayed and studies can be prolonged. In this situation, there are special regulations for BAföG.

The childcare allowance will be increased from 1 August 2019. Students who live with their children under the age of 14 in a common household will receive € 140.00 per month. If there are delays in the upbringing of children, BAföG funding is possible beyond the standard period of study. This information can be found online at

Because of pregnancy and child-rearing, the university is entitled to grant you an exeat semester (semester of leave). In principle you must apply for an exeat within the re-registration period for the following semester. You can apply for an exeat usually for a maximum of two consecutive semesters. Please note that students who have been granted an exeat are not entitled to attend classes. During the exeat semester you have the right to take exams which are not part of a course. Exeat semesters are counted as full university semesters.

For more information you should ask your university directly!

Students receive parental allowance in the amount of 300 Euro for at least 12 months. You can check at the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth on the latest state of the parental allowance:

Alongside parental allowance, in Baden-Württemberg, you have the possibility of receiving a child-rearing allowance for another year (for children born before 31th of December 2006).

For children born after the 1st of January 2007, an amount of 205 Euro for 12 months for the 1st and 2nd child or up to 240 Euro (starting with the 3rd child) can be recieved. The payment is made in connection to the parental allowance, mostly from 13th or 15th months of age, but only if certain income limits were not exceeded. You can find further information at:

L-Bank | Office for child-rearing
On the internet at: under the following headings L bank profile - Individuals – parental and child-rearing allowance – child-rearing allowance (in German)

Opening hours
Mo. – Fr. 9-12 o’clock and 14-17 o’clock
or via the hotline Family Support, Tel. 0800 6645-471 (free of charge), Fax 0721 150 3191 or via E-Mail: familienfö

Tip: Write your application number in your E-Mai, if available. The processing will be faster.

You will receive child allowance for your children until the age of 18 (or age 25, if the child is studying or in a professional training). Depending on the number of children, you will receive 204 Euro per month for the first and second child, 210 Euro per month for the third and 235 Euro for the fourth (Status: July 2019). In general, the payment will be made by the Family Benefits Office of the Employment Agencies (responsible for paying child allowance - Familienkasse) and to the person who has custody of the child (e.g. single parents). The authorities responsible for Karlsruhe:

Employment Agency – Family Benefits Office
Kriegsstraße 100
76133 Karlsruhe

Employment Agency
Familienkasse Pforzheim
Bahnhofstr. 37
72202 Nagold