Foto: Lisa Schwarz
Single Parents

We have a collection of helpful adresses for all the single parents - no matter if it's for a short time or permanently - and their questions.


Before Delivery
Should you already know during your pregnancy that you will be a single parent, you should take notice of the following things:
  • During pregnancy (6 weeks before delivery) the father must pay alimony to the child’s mother.
  • Paternity can already be acknowledged during pregnancy. For that you should contact the Sozial- und Jugendbehörde, or if your main residence is in Karlsruhe, the departments for legal representatives (Beistandschaften), official guardianship (Vormundschaften) and maintenance advance (Unterhaltsvorschusskasse)( webseite). You can also go there for other questions concerning paternity, child custody and alimony.
  • Furthermore there is the possibility of claiming increased needs (Mehrbedarf) during pregnancy. An application can be found at the Jobcenter Stadt Karlsruhe. Students with main residence in Pforzheim can apply at their local Jobcenter Stadt Pforzheim.

More information can be found at:

An overview of all the topics concerning delivery is offered by Pforzheim here.

After Delivery
After the delivery there is the chance to claim alimony from the other parent. The particular amount of it will be determinded using the „Düsseldorfer Tabelle“.

When having disputes because of alimony you should turn to a lawyer for family law. With a low income there is also under certain circumstances the possibility of receiving legal aid. You can also ask your lawyer about that or you can go to the Local Court.

The department for Beistandschaft (legal representatives) will also support you if you have questions concerning alimony.
If one parent doesn’t come up with enough alimony you should go to the Unterhaltsvorschusskasse (maintenance advance). In addition so that you can claim for Mehrbedarf (increased needs) due to single parenthood.

A compilation of important counselling and support offers for single parents in Karlsruhe can be found here .

Additional information for Single Parents in Pforzheim

Familieninformationszentrum vom Bündnis für Familie
(family information centre from the Union for Family)
Contact persons and counselling
Östliche Karl-Friedrich-Straße 9 (across from the old city hall),
75175 Pforzheim,
Tel. 07231- 393900,
E- Mail:

Verband alleinerziehender Mütter und Väter / Nagold
(single parent association Nagold)
Single parents can get a personal counselling every Tuesday between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the Kinderbüro Nagold.
Contact person: Frau Dr. Charlotte Michel-Biegel
Kinderbüro im Burgcenter, Telefon: 07452-6003920

Counselling of the Diakonie Pforzheim - Diakonisches Werk Pforzheim Stadt
Pestalozzistr 2
75172 Pforzheim
Tel: 07231 3787 8
Fax: 07231 3787 55

Counselling of the Caritas / online Beratung

Project team
"Ratgeber Studieren mit Kind"
International Student Center
Phone: 0721 6909-204