Contacts for disabled students

If you are a student with a disability and need somebody who will readily listen to your problems, please contact Horst Brandschert. As the Representative for Students with Disabilities at the Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe, he helps facilitate life on campus and within our halls of residence.
He will be pleased to provide assistance in all matters of concern to disabled persons:

  • information about parking licenses for wheelchair users
  • finances
  • social inquiries
  • information about the Studentenwerk's facilities for disabled persons

Accessible studies venue "Treffpunkt Studium barrierefrei"

Since the 2010 winter semester, KIT and Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe have been providing the possibility of personal encounters at the accessible studies venue Treffpunkt Studium barrierefrei. In addition to exchanging information and getting to know fellow students, the venue offers the opportunity to reflect on one's own topics in a group within a protected and moderated framework. This happens in a protected and moderated setting. Further information and upcoming dates:

Accessibility- prospects for disabled people

Accessibility is the keyword in the law regulating the construction of public buildings. Unfortunately, many of the older buildings were not constructed according to this law. Information on buildings and facilities adjusted to the needs of disabled people is available through the information website of Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.

In Karlsruhe and in Pforzheim, the Studierendenwerk offers a sufficient number of rooms and apartments which are accessibale. In our residence hall Klosterweg 7, all 72 rooms are wheelchair accessible. Our residence hall Willy-Andreas-Allee 11 offers 4 rooms which are wheelchair accessible, too. You will also find an apartment with 4 single rooms in our residence halls Hagenschießstraße 1 and 3 in Pforzheim which is wheelchair accessible.

We encourage you to consult the homepage of the Deutsches Studentenwerk for more information on studying with a disability.

Angelika Scherwitz-Gallegos, the representative for the concerns of disabled students at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), will be pleased to provide assistance, too. Visually impaired or blind persons are encouraged to contact the Studienzentrum für Sehgeschädigte (SZS).

Studierendenwerk Karlsruhe
Housing Department
Adenauerring 7
76131 Karlsruhe
Phone 0721 6909-147

Contact person
Horst Brandschert