Studying with children - what does my everyday life look like?

Learning and being there for a child - a double burden!
Student parents face the task of planning and organizing their studies so that they are compatible with family obligations. There is no general way to do this, only individual solutions that suit the respective situation. However, with the right advice and planning, they can overcome this.

On this page you will find general information on the most important organizational topics and a list of all contact points at the universities in Karlsruhe and Pforzheim, which can provide you with detailed information on these and other topics.

You have the option of taking a leave of absence from your studies. You should apply for this within the re-registration period for the following semester. Semesters on leave are not counted towards the standard period of study.
The State Higher Education Act in its currently valid version specifies in Section 61 Leave of Absence:
  1. Upon written request, student can take a leave of absence from their regular studies should there be any important reasons. The leave of absence should generally not exceed two semesters.
  2. Students on leave do not take part in the university's self-administration. You are not entitled to attend courses or use university facilities, with the exception of the facilities in accordance with Section 28 (Red.: Information Center).
  3. Students are granted protected periods in accordance with
    - Section 3 Paragraph 1 of the Act to Protect Working Mothers (Maternity Protection Act - MuSchG),
    - Section 6 Paragraph 1 of the Act to Protect Working Mothers in the version announced on June 20, 2002 (Federal Law Gazette I p. 2318) in the currently valid version
    - and parental leave in accordance with Section 15 Paragraphs 1 to 3 of the Federal Parental Allowance and Parental Leave Act of December 5, 2006 (Federal Law Gazette I p. 2748) in the currently valid version;

    For this purpose, they must be granted leave of absence upon request. Students on leave in accordance with sentence 1 are entitled to take part in courses, complete coursework and examinations and use university facilities. Periods according to sentence 1 are not counted towards the leave of absence according to paragraph 1 sentence 2.

You can find out how leave of absence is regulated at the individual universities at the bottom of this page under study organization at the universities.
For pregnant women and parents, the State Higher Education Act stipulates the following in Section 34: “The examination regulations must provide for protective provisions in accordance with the Maternity Protection Act and the deadlines of the statutory provisions on parental leave and enable their use; They must allow for flexible deadlines if students have family responsibilities.”

You can find out how the universities have implemented these requirements at the bottom of this page under study organization at the universities.
All universities have published guidelines on extended examination deadlines, especially for students with children, usually in the study and examination regulations. You can find information on how the universities have implemented this here: Study organization at the universities.
Expectant mothers and student parents receive counselling on planning their studies from the universities' equal opportunities officers.

You can find information about the counselling centers at the universities on this page under study organization at the universities.

Counselling and informtion on:
  • extended examination deadlines
    • leave of absence (due to the dual system, this is only possible in consultation with the training company and usually only for a whole year) exemption from the attendance requirement

You will receive this from your course director and the equal opportunities officer by email:
Maternal protection and parental leave
The Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences offers students with children various facilities for completing their studies. The regulations can be found in the study and examination regulations part A, if necessary in addition to the study and examination regulations part B of the respective degree program.

Study counselling
The following counselling centers can help you organize your studies:
Folgende Stellen können dich bei deiner Studienorganisation unterstützen:

Studium in Elternzeit
Eine Zusammenstellung der wichtigen Informationen erhältst du hier.
Zentrum für Information und Beratung (zib)

Das Zentrum für Information und Beratung (zib) berät in allen Fragen des Studiums, der Studienplanung, der Studienfinanzierung sowie bei Studienproblemen und bietet Veranstaltungen (Workshops, Trainings- und Informationsveranstaltungen) zu verschiedenen Themen an. Das Zentrum ist die Kontakt-, Informations- und Beratungsstelle für Schülerinnen und Schüler, Eltern, Studierende und alle anderen an einer Hochschulausbildung Interessierte, die Antwort auf hochschulbezogene Fragen und Hilfe bei studienbezogenen Problemen suchen.
Mutterschutz und Elternzeit
Es gelten Schutzbestimmungen, die auch auf dem Merkblatt auf der Homepage der PH einsehbar sind.

Studienberatung und Studienorganisation
An der PH Karlsruhe ist die Gleichstellungsbeauftragte unter zu erreichen. Die Telefonnummer sowie die Sprechzeiten findest du auf unserer Homepage.
Das Studien-Service-Zentrum ist die zentrale Service-Einrichtung für Studierende und Studieninteressierte der Pädagogischen Hochschule Karlsruhe, siehe