BAFÖG FOR REFUGEES
The eligibility of refugees depends, among other things, on their residence status (§ 8 BAföG - nationality)118:
- Persons entitled to asylum and persons entitled to international protection (see 2.1.) as well as foreigners with one of the other residence titles listed in § 8 para. 2 no. 1 BAföG receive BAföG (without waiting period).
- Certain persons entitled to humanitarian residence and persons with a tolerated stay (§ 8 Para. 2 No. 2 and Para. 2a BAföG) receive BAföG if they have already had a legal, permitted or tolerated stay in the Federal territory for at least 15 months.
- Participants in preparatory courses and preparatory courses (at universities) can receive BAföG (according to AföGVorkHSV/also called VorkurseV).
- who are the responsibility of the BAföG office of the Studentenwerk (in Rhineland-Palatinate: university), if they are enrolled at the university.
- Syrian students who have been staying in Germany with a residence title for study purposes (§ 16 para. 1 AufenthG) since 1 February 2013 at the latest will be granted a residence title according to § 23 para. 1 AufenthG upon application (agreement of the Federal Government/Länder; BMI/LMI decree of 22 March 2013). Prerequisite: the requirements of section 16 (1) Residence Act are met with the exception of securing a livelihood; there is no longer any financial state or private support from Syria; there is no or insufficient German support; there is no possibility of gainful employment; there are no sufficient financial means to secure a livelihood.
SCHOLARSHIPS IN BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG
In order to make use of the potential of Syrians currently residing in Baden-Württemberg who are capable of studying, the Ministry of Science has set up a support programme that is being implemented in cooperation with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Scholarships were awarded in two rounds of calls for proposals within the framework of the "Baden-Württemberg Programme to Support the Studies of Refugees from Syria".
You can find more information here (in German).